DR.ROMANOV'S ARTICLES Dr.Romanov has written many articles. Easy to read and understand, these articles will help you understand Pose Method® better and will introduce you to a new approach to running and training.
April 4, 2004
Switch to Pose
by Dr. Nicholas Romanov
So, you decided to learn the Pose Method®. The easiest way to do is to attend the Pose clinic or take some lessons with a Pose Method® Certified Coach. But if you don’t have this possibility, you have to learn it by yourself. In this case you need to get some proper guidance in order to avoid negative side effects. We would recommend you to follow several steps in order to achieve your goal – skillful running.
1. First of all, you need to know that Pose Method® has its own philosophy and approaches running as a skill, which you have to learn as such with complete understanding of its concepts, learning its rules and doing the drills. Learning Pose Method® is a life long project, and not a miracle you achieve overnight. This learning requires dedication of your time and efforts.
2. To get started read our book to understand the idea of the Method and watch our video/DVD to get the visual of the technique and the drills you need to perform.
3. While going through the drills it would make sense to visit our website’s Running Forum to get answers to your questions and some advice from other people experiencing probably the same difficulties as you during their quest through the Pose Method®.
4. Master the three major elements of the Pose Method®: Pose, Fall, and Pull and perfect them through your entire running life. There is no end to it. Start from the Pose. Then learn to fall forward in place. Try to incorporate it with pulling the foot from the ground. Combine everything in running.
5. Develop your perception of these movements: your balance, efforts, relaxation, going through time and space.
6. The major force we are exploiting in moving forward is gravity to which we should assist with all our efforts. This is our skill of running.
7. All mistakes in running are caused by our work against gravity while on support, that’s why landing ahead of the body, landing on the heel and pushing off are considered as errors in the Pose Method®.
8. These errors are the sources of injuries in running.
9. Remember: good running technique feels like effortless running.
10. There is no soreness, pain or injuries when you run with the proper Pose Technique.
11. Do not rush to a long run, while you can’t control your technique for long.
12. Concentrate on short distances where you can repeat controlled technique many times.
13. Learn to listen to your body during running and drills.
14. Learn to run Pose in slow run.
15. Record your progress and difficulties in learning in your training log.
16. Videotape your running and check your Pose, Falling and Pulling regularly. Ask yourself: Am I falling? Am I pulling? Am I landing on the heels in front of the body or on my forefeet under my body? Am I straightening my knees or keeping them always bent?
17. Check your stride cadence. It should be no less then 180 steps per minute for two legs.
18. Ask yourself after the run: Was I enjoying it or not?
19. Learn technique with someone who can help you to see your mistakes.
20. Do not run with a group or with the headphones listening to music. Learn to listen to your body. Don’t lose your attention to technique.
21. Do strength exercises for your feet, hips and hamstrings regularly.
- The best way to learn POSE Method® is to attend a Standard POSE Clinic
- Prior to attending the clinic we suggest reading Dr.Romanov's book "Pose Method of Running" as well as checking out his Pose Method® DVD
- If you would like to read a few chapters out of Pose Method® Book before buying it, visit the "Book Chapters" section in our Online Library.
- We offer a variety of POSE Clinics around the world. There are 3-day courses as well as shorter ones to help accommodate as many people as possible. Check out all of the and see which one is right for you!
- Those who cannot attend clinics can always seek help from any of our Pose Method Certified Coaches. Click here to locate one in your area.
- You can also visit our Message Board to look for a POSE Buddy to train with. Find a perfect partner today! (You have to be a registered member to use that part of our forum)
Back to Top